Monday, February 13, 2006

Opposite Day

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Romans 12:1

There’s that word again; sacrifice. What is sacrifice? Webster’s Dictionary defines it as, "the forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have a greater value."Because He died for us, lets practice living for Him!

I know scripture tells us that obedience is greater than sacrifice. But, in being obedient to God we often find ourselves with conflict, due to our own desires.

One of the most refreshing days of my life was the day I declared Opposite Day. I’m sure you’ve heard children playing this game; it goes something like this.
Mom: Honey, go clean your room.
Child: No Ma’am.
Mom: Excuse me
Child: It’s opposite day mom; Yes means no and no means yes.
Mom: Well, that’s not going to get you off the hook if you tell me no again.

Sound familiar? This is only an example of what I’m talking about. What I mean is doing the opposite of our inclinations. Telling ourselves no to the desires of the flesh so we can say yes to Him.

For example, I remember waking up and thinking this bed feels so good, I think I’ll let myself sleep in this morning. No, I have to do opposite today, so I got up. I think I want donuts for breakfast. I know this is not best for me, I’ll do the opposite. I need to do such and such (you fill in the blank) today, but I’ll wait until tomorrow. No, I’m going to do it now because normally I would procrastinate, and today is Opposite Day. Do you see where I’m going with this? It may sound crazy, but I challenge you to an Opposite Day.

Should Opposite Day be like a holiday and come once a year? No, everyday should be Opposite Day. God sure blesses it when we do things His way instead of our own. I will tell you this, it takes practice and discipline, but the rewards are worth the effort.

"And, the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever." Isaiah 32:17

"Take heed of forming plans for happiness, as though it lay in the things of this world, which soon pass away. Do not fall in with the customs of those who walk in the lusts of the flesh, and mind earthly things. The work of the Holy Ghost first begins in the understanding, and is carried on to the will, affections, and conversation, till there is a change of the whole man into the likeness of God, in knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness. Thus, to be godly, is to give up ourselves to God." -Matthew Henry

When you face choices today, remember, There is great pleasure and reward in giving yourself up to Him.

Have a great Opposite day in the Lord!

No comments: