Sunday, January 29, 2006

Where Are You Going?

Sermon Notes: John 14:5-7

In the previous chapter we find that Jesus has just tried to explain to His disciples that He's getting ready to go away (His cruxifixion, death, resurrection, and assention to Heaven). He tries to explain that where He's going they can't come for now, but later they will reunite with Him in Heaven. Now Jesus is trying to comfort His disciples with these words.

"Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:1-6

Thomas was being realistic and honest. He said he didn't have any idea where Jesus was going, so how could he possibly know how to get there. You probably know people, in your circle of influence, that don't have a clue. The same answer Jesus gave to Thomas is the same answer we can tell our friends. Jesus is the way, He is the truth, and He is the life. There is no other way.

What about other religious views? Let me give you an example. Yesterday a man came in the hardware store and asked to use the phone. He had a map in his hands and was obviously lost. The map lookes legitimate, it was printed from the internet, but it was wrong. I knew where he wanted to go, and how to get there. I was able to point him in the right direction and he easily found his destination.

As Christians, our destination is Heaven. Our map, the Bible, is true. Jesus did not say I am a way. He said, "I am the way..." This is what the Bible tells us concerning any other view. "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." Proverbs 14:12

I have heard people say that you have to believe what makes you comfortable and feel good. I know other people who believe they are good enough, but we have no merits of our own. This is what the enemy wants you to believe, because these lies will send you to Hell. However, if you believe the truth found in Jesus Christ, the sinless sacrificial Lamb, the embodiment of truth, you will have everlasting life and a home in Heaven.

What are you trusting to get you to Heaven? Sometimes, like Thomas, we just need reminding. Sometimes, we need to remind or tell others. Let the light of Christ shine in you. Time will end and so will your opportunity to share or accept the gift of salvation.

Have you settled on where you will spend eternity? In other words, Do you have a relationship with Jesus Christ? Jesus said, "I go to prepare a place for you." My question to you, "Where are you going?" If you're not sure and want to know more click on the following link What Must I do to Be Saved or email me directly, tracie@girl-friends-in-christ-online.com I'd love to tell you more.

No comments: