Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Benefits of Memorizing Scripture

1. It helps me resist temptation. I Matthew 4, we have an example of this with Jesus in the wilderness. When the devil tempted Him, He quoted scripture every time He was tempted. He is our ultimate example. If Jesus did it, I want to do it too. Psalm 119 "I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you."

2. It helps me make wise decisions "Your Word is a lamp to guide me and a light for my path." Many times I’ve prayed, "Lord, what am I going to do now?" and a verse would pop into my mind. Because I had it memorized. If I hadn’t had it memorized the Holy Spirit couldn’t have brought it to mind.

3. It strengthens me when I’m under stress "Your promises to me are my hope. They give me strength in all my troubles. How they refresh and revive me." There can certainly be a lot of stresses in a womans life. when you’ve memorized scripture it can bring peace in the midst of any situation.

4. It comforts me when I’m sad Jeremiah 15:16, "Your words were found and I ate them, and your words become for me a joy and the delight of my heart…" Are you reading God's Word? It can't comfort you when your sad, nor can it be the joy and delight of your heart unless you are taking them in. Then you can digest them and find nourishment for your soul.

5. It helps me witness to unbelievers 1 Peter 3:15 "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." Notice Proverbs 22:18 which says "For it will be pleasant if you keep them within you, that they may be ready on your lips." Another translation says it like this, "You will be glad if you remember them and you can quote them." We can't be ready unless we have memorized scripture. We won't always have our Bibles with us unless we carry it in our hearts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that your husband is very proud of you. Prayers have been answered, especially the one included on your past Christmas gift. This IS the place for your writing ministry.

Drewe Llyn, Girlfriend's Mentor said...

I love how you organized this. I may use it in my Sunday School class.
Be blessed!